Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pioneers knock my socks off!

It's so true, they do! I went to San Diego over Spring Break with Heidi, and we had the opportunity to go to the Mormon Battalion, and I LOVED IT! It was very Disneyland-esque with the portraits on the wall that interact with the elders or sisters leading the tour. Then we went from room to room all decorated like we were there, you know, walking across the US. For those that don't know the Mormon Battalion was the one of the longest marches in military history that went from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego, California. Mormons were persecuted in the United States and "asked" to leave, but then asked for 500 volunteers to help in the war against Mexico. Brigham Young promised the men (and some women and children) that if they were faithful to Jesus Christ, kept their heart and minds pure, and prayed often they wouldn't have to fight a single battle. And they didn't. It was a way for the church to move west, and various irrigation and farming techniques learned and used in that march are what helped to build modern day Salt Lake. Anyway, I just loved it. I feel like I have such a connection to pioneer stories and they always remind me that my life isn't as bad as it may seem at times and to just KEEP GOING! They had such faith and strength, and I look up to them.

When we first got there one of the sister missionaries was very much in sister-missionary mode. And she was dressed in full pioneer costume. I couldn't focus on her talking about the battalion or the faith of the men...to lighten her up a little I looked her up and down and said, "Did you bring that dress yourself or do they provide that for you?" She smiled and rolled her eyes, "No, they gave it to me. I wouldn't even know where to find this..." It was so hilarious. She seemed to relax a little and we had a good time. The best part is..they take your picture and print it for free!

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, both this post and the LDS newsroom post on the newly dedicated Mormon Battalion Center in San Diego showed up on my google reader on the same day. Looks like a cool place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that sounds really cool! I'm not gunna lie, I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete