Monday, July 26, 2010

Roomies!

Lately I'm just in the mood to write. I've been writing in my journal a lot and writing poems and just thinking of creative projects I can be doing. I've also started rereading my favorite book "The Alchemist".....oh how it still touches my heart. Anyway, I feel inspired to write a little more about those I have cohabited with.

Freshman year of College:
Hannah Goldsmith and I have known each other since I was in first grade. She's technically younger than I am, so she was 5 when we met. We were friends at school and we were invited to the occasional sleep over, but we both have admitted to thinking the other one was totally weird as young kids. Then in HS for some (wonderful) reason we just hit it off. Within a year I knew she'd be a part of my life forever. Before I even applied to the U of A Hannah had her housing assignment. Coconino Dorm. The same as another friend of ours that was about to spend her 2nd year in that dorm. I had to get in with my best friend and one of my closest friends. I requested that dorm and to mine and Hannah's surprise, we were paired as roommates. WE HAD SUCH AN AMAZING YEAR! Seriously, it was so good for both of us. Never in my life did I make my bed every morning or consistently brush my teeth at night, or wash my face...until I lived with Hannah. If I didn't do those things, she would do them for me or just talk to me about them until she was blue in the face and I finally got out of bed to do them. And I helped her branch out into a new social circle.

Sophomore year:
I lived with Hannah again and Lindsay Stefferson. (In all actuality there was another girl living at the Reserve with us, but we never really spoke. Her name was Mercedes, but pronounced, merc-ed-ees...terrible. She always ate Cheetos and basically looked like she should be from the dirty verde.) The day we were signing the lease Hannah says to the guy, "The Reserve...that sounds like..." he tried to finish her sentence, and said, "Yeah, nice, like a resort," but not before Hannah got out, "...like Jelly. Oh wait, that's Preserves." I started laughing hysterically and the guy looked at both of us and just said, "sign on the dotted line please."
Lindsay moved in by the grace of God, literally. There was a waiting list and she called to see if she could move in with me, and I told her she should call the Reserve, and see what they could do. She evaded the wait list and was immediately put with us. It was perfect. We didn't know each other that well, but by the end of that year, we were not only best friends, but wives on facebook. I'll never forget when we beat Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo.

Junior year:
Here's where it gets tricky. I moved in with Tiffany, Jillian, and Lindsay again. Girls: fine. House: terrible. I couldn't live there and my actions eventually led us all to move. Girls: very angry at me. House: should have been burned down. Lindsay wasn't mad...she and I moved up north to live with her girl friend Aimee. I loved our place. It was so cute, quiet, had a pool, etc. Aimee was awesome and the three of us really had a good thing going.

Senior year:
Got even trickier. I needed to save money, and in December I moved in with Kristen....in January I moved out. I then lived with Lydia Roes, Kyli Chapman, and Lani Chapman. That was fun. I mean, I was either sharing a bed with Lydia or I was on their couch, but it was an adventure. I was amazing at how well we did when none of us had space at all! I had a blast. Then in March I moved in to where I am at now, and already have new roommates. Jessica Z, Jessica K, and Megan Russell, who is now a Kartchner herself! Moving in was the best thing for me. It really was. I fell in love with the roommates and the house (especially since Kelsie went on a mission and this was where she lived last year, and where we spent MANY a Summer days watching Degrassi!!!). Since Megan moved out, Elspeth has moved in, and it has been A REAL GOOD THING!! Seriously, we sometimes just lie awake at night talking and laughing in the dark. Other times we're awake until the wee hours of the morning....both of us on our computers watching different things, but still feeling like we're getting some good quality time in together. Too legit to even quit. I'm gonna be very sad when the Summer ends and she has to go back to Mesa. So rude. But as I've learned....change can be a good thing. I've been lucky so far!

Hannah: "You know those really nerdy, awkward kids that are so cute you wanna be friends with them anyway...?"
Me: "I'm friends with you, aren't I?"

Lindsay: "My wife, my life. Hey Beast, get me some shmallow mateys and then rot."
Me: "Did you just call me a Beast...?"
Lindsay: "Umm. Yes."
Me: "Okay. I love shmallow mateys."

Megan: "Well he called me fat."
Me: "Well you're fat, I'm old, apparently, and we'll just sit in our room and hate him together."

Me: "I just farted and it's terrible."
Elspeth: "I'm glad the air is blowing towards you."
Me: *motioning the air back at her* "Yeah, but I want this to be a part of your life, too."
Elsepth: *motioning the air back at me* "I hate you....this is the most ridiculous thing we've ever done...THAT IS TERRIBLE!"

Elspeth: "You're the worst."
Me: "Your face is the worst."
Elspeth: "You keep saying that!"
Me: "Not a big deal."

It could go on for days........

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! The best part is that it's totally true how even when we're separated on the computers, we're still connected. Also, your airbending skills must be better than mine because that reeked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I wasn't around for some of those quotes. Goo.

    ReplyDelete