Monday, July 7, 2014

Jesus Take the Wheel

I've had a memory flood into my mind recently, and I can't help but think how wonderful God is and how intertwined He is in our lives.

July 7, 2007 I attended a wedding in Colorado of two pretty incredible teachers I knew from high school. On the journey back I was in the car with Dana Miner, Julie King, and Elizabeth Lamb. As "Jesus Take the Wheel" came on the radio, I made an "Ugh!" sound along with a look of disgust. At the time I despised Country Music, Carrie Underwood, and Jesus. All my friends in the car kept expressing their love for the song, the artist, and even Jesus Christ. I didn't think anything more of it, but now I look back and am grateful for ONE small experience that eventually led to the softening of my heart.

I'm a pretty stubborn, blunt, and opinionated woman that sometimes doesn't recognize that I exude an aura of "don't test me." I am so grateful that even though I didn't think of others in the car with my verbal and visual reaction of disgust, they still expressed THEIR opinion and testimony of Jesus Christ.

In recent years I have TRIED to be more humble and understanding of my brothers and sisters, their circumstances, and opinions...and Country Music. July 4, 2014, a mere seven years later, I was grateful to be at Stadium of Fire listening to Carrie Underwood singing her little heart out! I've had some emotional struggles recently, and as she said, "This song is one of my favorites because it was my first single and means so much to me," and started to sing "Jesus Take the Wheel" tears instantly welled up in my eyes. The memory of that car ride back from Colorado flooded in, and then my heart swelled with gratitude for that moment. As the song continued it had new meaning to me...and I felt like I was in that car, driving down the road hitting that sheet of ice. It doesn't matter where we are in life, our Savior CAN take over, and lead us back to the right path. It's not that I'm "off the path"....if you will, I am on of the ninety and nine, but there are aspects of my life that I wish were different. I want to be better, stronger, happier....not for competitive sake, but for knowing what life is capable of.

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands Cause I can't do this on my own I'm letting go So give me one more chance Save me from this road I'm on Jesus take the wheel
And for the first time in a long time She bowed her head to pray She said I'm sorry for the way I've been living my life I know I've got to change So from now on tonight
Jesus take the wheel Take it from my hands Cause I can't do this on my own I'm letting go So give me one more chance Save me from this road I'm on Oh, Jesus take the wheel



This is a promise to myself that I do want to rely on the Lord more!

No comments:

Post a Comment