Monday, May 3, 2010

I DID IT!

Well it was two weeks ago, but I finally got a few pictures back from my 5k!!!! It was an amazing experience and I love my new found LOVE for being outside or inside playing and running. I'm hiking the Grand Canyon with Heidi in a few weeks!


I will never forget how terrified I was right before my race and I just had to let the words of my (amazing!!) home teacher and friend, Kurt, really sink into my brain. "Just start off slow and steady." I ran about 10 paces when I heard, "GO SASHA!" I looked up and there was Kurt cheering me on!! I couldn't believe it! I was at the base of Mt. Lemmon and it was 7am! But he was there. I made it to mile one. Wow. Then mile TWO and my lungs were doing great! And then at 2.3 or so I was really feeling it. I ran through this forest and I could see people up ahead to direct us....when I got closer I realized it was another cheering squad for me. Jessica K and Heidi were jumping up and down for me. I nearly started crying when I saw them because I was so happy they were there and I needed that so badly. Then I realized that trying to hold back tears was closing my throat and I quickly stopped. I HAD TO FINISH! They drove ahead to meet me for my last 10th of a mile. Because I had three amazing friends there I was able to finish that race. I couldn't have done it without them. They have no idea what that act of service has done for me, but it will affect me for the rest of my life. I never knew I could be so lucky.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a really nice story. Those three were always so nice, I'm not surprised. Good for you Shaniquah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I don't really support running as an activity, I'm still really proud of you, it's a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete